Student Support Services
A great study experience means successful study outcomes. At Australian Professional Skills Institute, our student support services team is here to help our students to create the best learning experience to achieve their goals. Our team can provide student support services such as administrative assistance, time management, counselling services, career guidance and resume writing, job hunting and interviewing skills, career guidance and further education placements. If you require any support and assistance, please contact student services.
At Australian Professional Skills Institute, we understand that it might be challenging for students to cope with changes in life, especially for international students to travel away from home to settle in a new environment. Students may experience concerns such as:
- Personal problems (relationships, family, other)
- Harassment at work and among peers
- Balancing work and studies, and managing time effectively
- Feeling stressed, anxious or depressed
- Homesickness (the distress or anxiety caused by being separated from home), communication barriers or cultural adjustments (for international students)
- Or other issues.
Australian Professional Skills Institute has qualified professional counsellors who are on hand to offer students confidential support and counselling, to help students to cope with any personal or study based challenges. They can also liaise with trainers and provide referral information for ongoing support.
If necessary, students may be referred to specialised counselling service covered by their health cover. All information during counselling sessions are keep confidential. Please contact student services for more information.
Organisations to contact for help
Sexual Assault Assistance
The Sexual Assault Resource Centre (SARC), located at King Edward in Subiaco, is the emergency sexual assault (rape crisis) service in Perth for females and males who have been affected by sexual assault (also called rape) or sexual abuse.
SARC provides a 24-hour emergency sexual assault (rape crisis) service in metropolitan Perth. This involves medical care, a forensic examination and counselling support to people who have been sexually assaulted (or raped) within the previous 14 days. SARC also provides counselling in centres across the Perth metropolitan area to people who have experienced sexual assault (rape) and sexual abuse in the past. SARC is a free confidential service, regardless of visa status/medicare/OSHC and interpreters can be arranged. It is NOT part of the police, however SARC will support a person’s decision to involve the police.
StudyPerth Student Support
- StudyPerth Student Hub: The StudyPerth Student Hub is a welcoming city location for all international students studying in Western Australia. It’s a place where you can come to study, hang out with friends or to meet new people and use the free facilities such as WiFi, tea/coffee making facilities and the Chill Zone. The Hub is staffed by Greeters who are students studying at Perth institutions who can relate to your experience as a student in Perth.
- Upcoming Student Events: From employment workshops and destination day trips to other exciting social activities, StudyPerth hosts a range of events to help international students get the most out of their Perth experience. Check out some of the upcoming events planned for you!
- Free Support Services: StudyPerth is committed to supporting and promoting positive wellbeing for international students through the introduction of these new FREE support services. From Monday 18 October 2021, all support services can be accessed either online using the links below or in person at Student Hub.
- Jobs & Internships: There are many jobs available in Perth for international students while you study and after you graduate. Working while you study is not only a great way to earn some extra money, it will give you the chance to be part of the community and experience Perth’s way of life. It’s also a great way to practise your English if you are not a native speaker. There are a wide variety of full and part-time jobs in Perth for international students. Check out the information below and visit Jobs Board to start applying.
- Volunteering: One of the best ways to meet people and feel more connected to the local community is to volunteer while you study in Perth. If you would like to give your time to the local community while doing something fun and meaningful, you should consider volunteering at one of Perth’s many charitable organisations or community programs. Volunteering provides you with new opportunities, many of which will help you learn about yourself and others, while offering pathways to future career opportunities. Having volunteer experience on your resume or transcript can also make you a stronger candidate when applying for jobs.
English Language Support
Australian Professional Skills Institute has links with many specialist English Language Schools in Perth to provide English language support to overseas students. Overseas students are required to provide proof of English proficiency when they apply for a course at the Institute. Some students may be required to sit for an English proficiency test to establish if they need further English support. Our English language partners are:
Our course coordinators and counsellors are available to help students to adjust to Australian learning environment. They can provide you with assistance on classroom participation and effective study techniques. Your course coordinator will meet you during orientation program. If you have any special learning or Study Support and Language, Literacy and Numeracy Skills Support (LLN) needs, please contact your course coordinator.
Australian Professional Skills Institute provides pathways for students to advance their career or continue their education with universities. We have experienced student services staff and course coordinators who can give students advice on career choices, further education or workplace training options.
Australian Professional Skills Institute invites guest speakers from universities, pubic and private organisation such as St George Bank, potential employers to come to speak to our students on various career options.
Students are invited to visit career expos organised by various organisations in Perth so that they can gain a better understandings of their career options in Perth. Our hospitality students are invited to visit our partner organisations to explore their career options during and after studying with APSI.
The followings are links to other popular job search websites in Australia.
- www.seek.com.au – the largest vacancy database
- www.westskills.com – for hospitality jobs
- www.flexistaff.com.au – for industrial, professional and hospitality jobs
- www.thecarers.com.au – for aged care jobs
- www.myagedcare.gov.au – for aged care jobs
- www.labourforce.com.au – for transport and logistics jobs
- www.alliedrec.com.au – for industrial jobs
- www.irp.net.au – for industrial jobs
- www.skilled.com.au – for multi-industry jobs
- www.workforce.com.au – for multi-industry jobs
- www.careerone.com.au – for multi-industry jobs
- www.jobmarket.com.au – for multi-industry jobs
- www.career2.com – for multi-industry jobs
- www.jobr.com.au – for multi-industry jobs
- www.hiwages.com.au – for casual, part-time and temporary jobs
- www.careersforcarers.com.au – for aged care, disability care, nursing, healthcare and allied health jobs
ProsPER Employability Portal
Be empowered to advance your career journey, achieve your career goals and unleash your full potential through ProsPER.
This FREE, comprehensive employability and career development portal is packed with interactive tools, valuable e-learning courses, career assessments and the latest job opportunities, all designed to get you job ready and navigating today’s job market with confidence.
Think of it as your one-stop-shop for career development support and learning materials!
Explore the My Career, My Tools and My Learning tabs above to see how ProsPER can benefit you.
Overseas students may require documents to be attested from a Notary Public. Generally, these documents are documents that require to be sent overseas. Students can contact Notary Express for all Notarial Services.
Please visit their website for further details: Notary Express
- Attesting Affidavits, Acknowledgements & Statutory Declarations
- Verifying Documents & Identities
- Authenticating & Certifying documents
- Certifying & Attesting Power of Attorney
- Issuing Notary Certificate
- ECU Agent Applicant Declaration Form
- ECU Application for Refund of Student Fees
- ECU International Student Application Form – No Agent
- ECU Repackage-Release-Withdrawal Request Form
- ECU Student Financial Declaration Form v.2
- ECU Visa Additional Information Checklist – Agent v.2
- ECU Visa Checklist – Applicant’s Extended Family Details