Student Support Services
Student Support Services
A great study experience means successful study outcomes. At Australian Professional Skills Institute, our student support services team is here to help our students to create the best learning experience to achieve their goals. Our team can provide student support services such as administrative assistance, time management, counselling services, career guidance and resume writing, job hunting and interviewing skills, career guidance and further education placements. If you require any support and assistance, please contact student services.
At Australian Professional Skills Institute, we understand that it might be challenging for students to cope with changes in life, especially for international students to travel away from home to settle in a new environment. Students may experience concerns such as:
- Personal problems (relationships, family, other)
- Harassment at work and among peers
- Balancing work and studies, and managing time effectively
- Feeling stressed, anxious or depressed
- Homesickness (the distress or anxiety caused by being separated from home), communication barriers or cultural adjustments (for international students)
- Or other issues.
Australian Professional Skills Institute has qualified professional counsellors who are on hand to offer students confidential support and counselling, to help students to cope with any personal or study based challenges. They can also liaise with trainers and provide referral information for ongoing support.
If necessary, students may be referred to specialised counselling service covered by their health cover. All information during counselling sessions are keep confidential. Please contact student services for more information.
Organisations to contact for help
- ECU Agent Applicant Declaration Form
- ECU Application for Refund of Student Fees
- ECU International Student Application Form – No Agent
- ECU Repackage-Release-Withdrawal Request Form
- ECU Student Financial Declaration Form v.2
- ECU Visa Additional Information Checklist – Agent v.2
- ECU Visa Checklist – Applicant’s Extended Family Details
The Sexual Assault Resource Centre (SARC), located at King Edward in Subiaco, is the emergency sexual assault (rape crisis) service in Perth for females and males who have been affected by sexual assault (also called rape) or sexual abuse.
SARC provides a 24-hour emergency sexual assault (rape crisis) service in metropolitan Perth. This involves medical care, a forensic examination and counselling support to people who have been sexually assaulted (or raped) within the previous 14 days. SARC also provides counselling in centres across the Perth metropolitan area to people who have experienced sexual assault (rape) and sexual abuse in the past. SARC is a free confidential service, regardless of visa status/medicare/OSHC and interpreters can be arranged. It is NOT part of the police, however SARC will support a person’s decision to involve the police.
Australian Professional Skills Institute has links with many specialist English Language Schools in Perth to provide English language support to overseas students. Overseas students are required to provide proof of English proficiency when they apply for a course at the Institute. Some students may be required to sit for an English proficiency test to establish if they need further English support. Our English language partners are:
Study Support and Language, Literacy and Numeracy Skills Support (LLN)
Our course coordinators and counsellors are available to help students to adjust to Australian learning environment. They can provide you with assistance on classroom participation and effective study techniques. Your course coordinator will meet you during orientation program. If you have any special learning or LLN needs, please contact your course coordinator.
Australian Professional Skills Institute provides pathways for students to advance their career or continue their education with universities. We have experienced student services staff and course coordinators who can give students advice on career choices, further education or workplace training options.
Australian Professional Skills Institute invites guest speakers from universities, pubic and private organisation such as St George Bank, potential employers to come to speak to our students on various career options.
Students are invited to visit career expos organised by various organisations in Perth so that they can gain a better understandings of their career options in Perth. Our hospitality students are invited to visit our partner organisations such as Novotel Langley Perth Hotel during orientation week to explore their career options during and after studying with APSI.
Australian Professional Skills Institute prepares students to join the workforce throughout their time in Australia. Students are encouraged to attend employment preparation workshops to help them write resumes, develop job research skills, learn how to prepare for a job interview and how to make cold calls.
APSI has a vast network of employers who already employ our graduates in the workforce. We post job vacancies on our job board so that our students are given first hand information on jobs available. Please note, International students holding student visas must observe their visa requirements in relation to work. International students are only allowed to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight while undertaking full-time studies. If the student is on workplace training, then the student can work 20 hours per week, in addition to their normal part-time work allowance. Workplace training or work experience included in the training course can be either paid or unpaid, depends on the arrangement with the employer. If you are not sure about the arrangement, please contact your course coordinator for clarification.
For part-time/casual work in aged, home and community care, all applicants must have current Police Clearance.
Some jobs may require a valid Western Australia Driver’s licence and own transport with comprehensive insurance (for community care work).
The following information is published by the Department of Education, Skills and Employment to assist International students to understand their rights at work and help to combat exploitation by employers. They have been translated into a number of key languages, which response to research showing the importance of in-language information for students (including Hindi, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Indonesian, Vietnamese, Thai, Spanish, and Portuguese).
You can download the flyer HERE.
Our sister company – Australian Professional Recruitment offers FREE job placement services to APSI students.
You can check out current job vacancies on their website
The followings are links to other popular job search websites in Australia
- www.seek.com.au – the largest vacancy database
- www.westskills.com – for hospitality jobs
- www.flexistaff.com.au – for industrial, professional and hospitality jobs
- www.thecarers.com.au – for aged care jobs
- www.myagedcare.gov.au – for aged care jobs
- www.labourforce.com.au – for transport and logistics jobs
- www.alliedrec.com.au – for industrial jobs
- www.irp.net.au – for industrial jobs
- www.skilled.com.au – for multi-industry jobs
- www.workforce.com.au – for multi-industry jobs
- www.careerone.com.au – for multi-industry jobs
- www.jobmarket.com.au – for multi-industry jobs
- www.career2.com – for multi-industry jobs
- www.jobr.com.au – for multi-industry jobs
- www.hiwages.com.au – for casual, part-time and temporary jobs
- www.careersforcarers.com.au – for aged care, disability care, nursing, healthcare and allied health jobs
Overseas students may require documents to be attested from a Notary Public. Generally, these documents are documents that require to be sent overseas. Students can contact Notary Express for all Notarial Services.
Please visit their website for further details: Notary Express
- Attesting Affidavits, Acknowledgements & Statutory Declarations
- Verifying Documents & Identities
- Authenticating & Certifying documents
- Certifying & Attesting Power of Attorney
- Issuing Notary Certificate